In this episode Cathy reports on all the games that won awards so far this summer and discusses her favorite board game app.
Click the Play arrow on the player below to listen to this episode.
PacifiCon Gaming Expo – Do you have your plans made for Labor Day Weekend yet? I do! What could be better than an end-of-summer gaming blow-out? I have just the thing for you! PacifiCon Game Expo in Santa Clara, CA. September 2nd – 5th. Held at the Santa Clara Marriott, this year PacifiCon will have special guests Forrest Harris of Knuckleduster Miniatures, Luke Gygax from GaryCon, Karl Kreder and Tim Porter from War Game Boot Camp, Luke Laurie from the PacifiCon Protospiel, and game designers Darin Levilof and John Welch. Activities include:
- Historical Miniatures and Wargames
- A War Game Bootcamp
- Lots of role-playing and board games
- Three Flea Markets
- Seminars, and
- Camp ConQuest for your young gamers
You can get all the details at PacifiConGameExpo.com. Don’t miss out! When you buy your tickets, let them know you heard about it from Our Turn Podcast and please come by our table at the con and say HI! We’d love to meet you!
Project Dreamscape: This episode is brought to you by Project Dreamscape published by Undine Studios and designed by our very own co-host, Sarah Reed and her husband, Will Reed with artwork by Julie Okahara.
In this game, scientists have invented a machine that can tap into a person’s dreams and make them real! In this unique set-collection card game, enter a shared dreamscape and utilize powerful dream abilities to chain together matching cards and score big! But keep an eye on your opponents, who all share the same goal…
This fun family game is great for 1-4 players ages 10 and up and plays in about 30 minutes. If you would like to get your own copy of this immersive filler game, visit OurTurnPodcast.com/ProjectDreamscape for details. Sweet dreams!
Gaming Awards 2016
Below is the full list of award winners for each of the awards mentioned in Episode #8. If you want to see the list of nominees for each award, click on the link in the paragraph at the top of each list.
Determined and awarded by the Academy of Adventure Gaming Arts & Design. Presented at the Origins Game Fair in Columbus, OH in June. The awards are given for excellence in game design. You can check out the full list of nominees here.
And the Origins Award Winners Are:
- Board Game: Star Wars: Imperial Assault from Fantasy Flight Games and designed by Jusitn Kemppainen, Corey Konieczka, and Jonathan Ying
- Card Game: 7 Wonders Duel from Repos Productiions. Designed by Anoine Bauza and Bruno Cathala
- Collectable Card Game: DC Comics Dice Masters: War of Light from WizKids. Designed by Mike Elliott & Eric M. Lang
- Family Game: Codenames from Czech Games Edition. Designed by Vlaada Chivatil
- Game Accessory: Terrain Tiles from Lost Battalion Games. Designed by Becky Siebe
- Miniatures Game: Star Wars Armada from Fantasy Flight Games. Designed by James Kniffen & Christian T. Petersen
- Role Playing Game: Star Wars: Force and Destiny from Fantasy Flight Games. Designed by Jay Little
- Game of the Year: Codenames (Czech Games) Designed by Vlaada Chvátil
Dice Tower Awards
Dice Tower Awards are presented each year in July at Dice Tower Con in Orlando, FL. Here are the links promised in the episode:
- The Award Winners and Nominees
- The Dice Tower Podcast Episode
- The Dice Tower Video Coverage of the Awards Presentation. Always an entertaining event!
AND THE Dice Tower AWARD WINNERS ARE:
- Best Board Game Components: Blood Rage published by Cool Mini or Not & Guillotine Games. Designed by Eric M. Lang
- Best Co-op Game: Pandemic Legacy: Season 1 Published by: Z-Man Games. Designed by: Rob Daviau & Matt Leacock
- Best Family Game: Codenames Published by: Czech Games Edition. Designed by: Vlaada Chvátil
- Best Game Artwork: Ashes: Rise of the Phoenixborn Published by: Plaid Hat Games. Designed by: Isaac Vega.
- Best Game Expansion: Ticket to Ride Map Collection: Volume 5 – United Kingdom & Pennsylvania Published by: Days of Wonder. Designed by: Alan R. Moon.
- Best Game from a New Designer: T.I.M.E. Stories Published by: Space Cowboys & Asmodee North America. Designed by: Manuel Rozoy.
- Best Game Theming: T.I.M.E. Stories Published by: Space Cowboys & Asmodee North America. Designed by: Manuel Rozoy.
- Best Game Reprint: Through the Ages: A New Story of Civilization Published by: Czech Games Edition. Designed by: Vlaada Chvátil.
- Best Party Game: Codenames Published by: Czech Games Edition. Designed by: Vlaada Chvátil
- Best Small Publisher: Stockpile Published by: Nauvoo Games. Designed by: Brett Sobol & Seth Van Orden.
- Best Strategy Game: Blood Rage published by Cool Mini or Not & Guillotine Games. Designed by Eric M. Lang
- Best Two-Player Game: 7 Wonders Duel from Repos Productiions. Designed by Anoine Bauza and Bruno Cathala
- Most Innovative Game: T.I.M.E. Stories Published by: Space Cowboys & Asmodee North America. Designed by: Manuel Rozoy.
- Best Game of the Year: Pandemic Legacy: Season 1 Published by: Z-Man Games. Designed by: Rob Daviau & Matt Leacock.
The Gen Con EN World RPG Awards (the “ENnies”) are an annual fan-based celebration of excellence in tabletop roleplaying gaming. The ENnies give game designers, writers and artists the recognition they deserve. It is a peoples’ choice award, and the final winners are voted upon online by the gaming public. These are awarded at GenCon in Indianapolis, IN in August.I will have a link to the list of nominees and winners in the Show Notes.
AND THE Gen Con EN World RPG Award WINNERS ARE:
- Best Adventure: Curse of Strahd Published by Wizards of the Coast. Written by Chris Perkins
- Best Aid/Accessory: Dracula Dossier: The Black Archive Published by All Rolled Up
- Best Cover Art: Curse of Strahd Published by Wizards of the Coast. Art Direction by Kate Irwin
- Best Interior Art: Dragon Age RPG Core Rulebook Published by Green Ronin Publishing. Written by Chris Pramas
- Best Blog: World Builder
- Best Cartography: Shadows of Esteren Cartography of Tri Kazel Published by Agate Editions.
- Best Electronic Book: Maze of the Blue Medusa Published by Satyr Press. Co-edited by Zak Sabbath and Ken Baumann
- Best Family Game: No Thank You, Evil! Published by Monte Cook Games.
- Best Free Game: Delta Green: Need to Know Published by Arc Dream Publishing
- Best Free Product: Pathfinder Module: We Be Goblins Free! Published by Paizo, Inc
- Best Miniature Product: Pathfinder Battles – The Rusty Dragon Inn: Bar Published by Paizo Inc.
- Best Monster/Adversary: Pathfinder RPG: Bestiary 5 Published by Paizo, Inc
- Best Podcast: Ken and Robin Talk About Stuff
- Best Production Values: Numenera Boxed Set Edition: Reliquary Published by Monte Cook Games
- Best RPG Related Product: Ken Writes About Stuff Volume 3 Published by Pelgrane Press
- Best Rules: Feng Shui 2 Core Rulebook Published by Atlas Games
- Best Setting: Feng Shui 2 Core Rulebook Published by Atlas Games
- Best Software: Roll20 Published by The Orr Group, LLC
- Best Supplement: The Dracula Dossier: Hawkins Papers Published by Pelgrane Press
- Best Website: Gnome Stew – The Gaming Blog
- Best Writing: The Dracula Dossier: Director’s Handbook Published by Pelgrane Press
- Fan’s Choice for Best Publisher: Paizo Publishing
- Product of the Year: Dracula Dossier Director’s Handbook Published by Pelgrane Press
- Best Game: Dragon Age Core Rulebook Published by Green Ronin Publishing. Written by Chris Pramas
Diana Jones Award
Spiel des Jahres 2016
Spiel des Jahres 2016: The Spiel des Jahres (German for Game of the Year) is an award for board and card games, created in 1978 with the stated purpose of rewarding excellence in game design, and promoting top-quality games in the German market. A Spiel des Jahres nomination can increase the typical sales of a game from 500–3000 copies to around 10,000; and the winner can usually expect to sell 300,000 to 500,000 copies.These are given out at the Internationale Spieltage Game Trade Fair in Essen, Germany in October. However, they were announced in July.
AND THE Spiel des Jahres WINNERS ARE:
- Kinderspiel des Jares: Stone Age Junior Published in the US by Z-Man Games. Designed by Marco Teubner
- Kennerspiel des Jares: Isle of Skye published by Mayfair Games in the US. Designed by Andreas Pelikan & Alexander Pfister.
- Spiel des Jahres: Codenames Published by: Czech Games Edition. Designed by: Vlaada Chvátil
Connect With Us on Social Media
- Cathy is on Board Game Geek and Twitter as CathysBrain
- Sarah is on Twitter as @EuroGamerGirl
- Nicole is on Instagram and SnapChat as TrickyNicky97
- Mark is on Twitter as @TheAmusedGeek
Games Mentioned in this Episode
The links below will take you to BoardGameGeek.com or RPGGeek.com, where you can learn more about the individual games. The Buy It! links will take you to FunAgainGames.com OR DriveThruRPG.com where you can purchase the game. These are affiliate links and using them will help us pay for show expenses like hosting, buying games, and traveling to conventions and events. Thanks for your support!
*This is NOT an affiliate link.
**This was a Kickstarter project that is no longer active.
Other Resources Mentioned:
All of the links below go to the sites where you can find out about each item or resource. None of these links are affiliate links. Enjoy!
|Black Straw Games||Board Game Geek||GenCon|
|HaitiCon||Internationale Spieltage Game Trade Fair||Ken and Robin Talk About Stuff|
|NPC Cast||Origins Game Fair||PacifiConGameExpo.com|
|Paizo Publishing||Spiel des Jahres Award||The Dice Tower|